What if Teddy Roosevelt, popularly known as TR, never became president? He assumed the presidency in 1901 under tragic circumstances. President William McKinley, first elected in 1896, was assassinated in 1901 by an anarchist.
A question is posed on Quora.com: "What if McKinley was not assassinated?"
Steven Franklin goes on to list TR's many accomplishments, and speculates on what would not have happened:
- There would have been a European presence in the Caribbean when those nations defaulted on foreign loans. Perhaps there would have been battles between the Allied and Central Powers much closer to North America.
- There might never have been a Panama Canal.
- Roosevelt expanded and modernized the US Navy, something that would prove useful in the future.
- Perhaps the Philippines would have gained their independence from the United States sooner and without war.
- The national government was strengthened by progressive legislation.