I want to become the oldest person on Face Book, interact with all generations, and always act my age. I am interested in being 86, goiing on 90. Opinionative? Argumentative? Always but agreeably so. -- Facebook profile.
Thanks to all who have accepted me as a friend and who will help enrich my life as a recluse finding solace in virtual reality.
Despite some physical ailments, my interests and spirits remain high, I don't feel any older and nothing's the matter so far with memory or recall, in any time frame, so that's a lot to be thankful for.
Like Forrest Gump, I just materialize from anywhere, don't I?
- Current City:
- Chapel Hill, NC
- September 15, 1923
- Carolina Meadows, Chapel Hill N.C., Monroe, NC
- David Secrest
Molly Secrest Katz
- Relationship Status:
- Interested In:
- Political Views:
- Religious Views:
- World not accidental; agnostic
Likes and Interests
- Telling anecdotes.walking the dog, petting the cat, running errands,telling other people what to do and how to do it, reluctant housework and kitchen slavery, complaining a lot, feeling guilty when I do,counting my blessing and not feeling very appreciative.
- Music, reading, history, popular culture of my era..golden oldies are the 1930's, and '40's...animals, discussions, esp. when you agree with me.
- Favorite Music:
- Popular romantic music, big band era, standards and classics; classical music, operatic arias, tunes from stage and screen musicals of the Golden Era: 1940's, '50's and '60's; folk songs; protest songs. real music died about 40 years ago.
- Favorite TV Shows:
- cable talk shows, from left to right, pbs sometimes, animal planet, the weather, cable channels such as Nat'l Geographic, Nature, History,TCMovies; no contemporary situation comedies or continuing dramas. Time has a way of paying one back. Used to ridicule mother for watching Laurence Welk and now I do some myself.
- Favorite Movies:
- Don't see many, just repeats of older films. Did enjoy Notes on A Scandal, Marley and Me, the Virginia wolfe one of some years back.
- Favorite Books:
- recent biography of Einstein, one on Hitler, The Nine(Supreme Court study); several historical biographies and related histories of WW 2 leaders, especially Winston Churchill, FDR, Truman, Ike and the like.
- Favorite Quotations:
- Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof;
Sweet are the uses of adversity...
For everything there is a season...a time to cry and a time to laugh; a time to sow and a time to reap; a time to live and a time to die (paraphrased)
This above all, to thine own self be true, for then thou cannot be false to any man(paraphrased again)
Never mistreat your enemies by half.
Do unto others as they would have you do unto them
(slight revision of the Golden Rule)
- About Me:
- Journalist, writer, professor; civil rights worker in the 1950 and 60's; worked for Justice Dep't. in Selma , Alabama, in 1965, with Martin Luther King, Jr. and George Wallace amd Al lingo, among many, many others.Mostly just a family man whose greatest joys have been my wife, three childrren five grandchildlren, and eight nieces and nephews and now great nieces and nephews and now some great, great ones. Also my own immediate familly, my deceased parents, my two older sisters, and many wonderful aunts , uncles and cousins. Loved them all, tho we are, generally speaking, a rather curious lot.
Education and Work
- High School:
- university of north carolina at chapel hill
- associate professor of journalism
- also professor of english t NCCU, Durham, N.C.