Far more evocative than a mere tombstone in a far-way cemetery. Through the miracle of the Internet, our loved ones can now achieve a kind of digital immortality. Instead of old film rotting away in an attic, home movies can now be posted to Facebook or to Youtube.com and shared with friends and family on a permanent basis. Here are some video clips from Lil's life:
- 'YOUNG AT HEART': Video slideshow of Lil's life (mostly with her grandchildren) created by her daughter Kathy to the tune of Frank Sinatra's popular hit. Part One. Part Two.
- 1942: Lillian Secrest at her home, Broadacre, in Monroe, NC, before she married John Buie and moved to Wagram, NC. The video was taken by her colleague Jay Harold Ostwalt, who remained a friend, along with his wife Adeline Hill Ostwalt, both educators, who have their own interesting story posted on this website about Adeline.
- 1940s: Wagram Babies Beauty Contest
- 1973: Vance-Buie-Loomis-Secrest Beach Vacation
- 1971-73: Home Movies of Lil and Grandchildren
- 1984: Lil Buie and 'Steel Magnolia' Buddycakes. Lil holds an open house in Wagram so her buddies can meet her new grandson Matthew.
- 1984: Lil and John Buie sitting on the front porch with their new grandson Matthew.
- 1984: How Matthew Learned to Swim
- 1984: John Buie talks about his penny-nickel weight machine business
- Slideshow (to the tune of Frank Sinatra's 'My Way') on the life of Lil's brother Mac Secrest.
Lillian Buie's grandson, Matthew Buie-Nervik, and her son, Jim Buie, created video clips from her memorial service at Montpelier Presbyterian Church in Wagram, N.C.
- Click here on Facebook to watch brief tributes from her brother, Mac Secrest; her sister-in-law, Ann Eastman Secrest; her nieces, Mary Ann English Clark and Bella English; her nephews, Andy English and David Secrest; her daughter-in-law Lucia Holliday; her niece, Sue English Hall; and her grandsons, Greg Loomis and Ted Vance, at a luncheon at the church before the memorial service. The edited version is about 14 minutes.
- Watch video of Lil's Memorial Service here. The edited version is about 20 minutes. The Rev. Holly Russell officiated, with remarks by Lil's children Kathy Buie Vance, Jim Buie, Ann Buie Loomis, and Celeste Buie Lewis, and music by Lil's granddaughter, Eve Vance Fleishman, a professional singer in Nashville, accompanied by Lil's other grandchildren, Ted Vance, Dan Loomis, Greg Loomis, Matthew Buie-Nervik, and Alex Buie.
- Watch video of Lil's burial here (about 10 minutes). The Rev. Holly Russell and Beacham McDougald of McDougald Funeral Home officiated.