After 10 years of blogging, I'm gradually migrating content to thematic blogs that I may turn into premium content or downloadable ebooks. It's a way of exploring topics in more depth, bringing more focus to my writing, and trying to create online communities of people with shared interests.
Your comments and insights are most welcome.
- Thoughts on Communication and Media. From the perspective of a communications professional working and teaching in the Middle East, I explore issues primarily of interest to my students studying New Media, Media Law, Research Methods, Media History, Storytelling, and Writing for Journalism and Public Relations. I try to keep up with trends and legal cases in Communications. http://jimbuie.wordpress.com.
- Turkish Adventure: For two years, from 2009 through 2011, I was fortunate to live and teach in Central Turkey, and to explore the neighborhood. I remain intensely interested in Turkey. http://jimbuie.blogs.com/turkey
- Exploring the Middle East and Africa: I currently live and teach in the Middle East, and my family and I have wonderful opportunities to travel the region. The complexity and diversity of this part of the world are often lost by crisis-to-crisis news coverage (especially by U.S. media) that rarely drills beneath the surface or offers historical context. I'd like to try to do that at http://exploringthemiddleeast.wordpress.com. This site is currently marked private and password-protected, only visible to those with a keen interest. If you would like to check it out, drop me an email: jimbuie 2 at gmail dot com with the subject line: "Mideast Blog." (My email address is spelled out to avoid spambots.)
- Slender Threads: 'What If's' of History: One of the best ways to understand history is to consider the alternatives that could have easily happened. We tend to see the past as an inevitable progression of events, but closer examination reveals just how much is the result of fate, chance, Providence, or whatever you want to call it. I also explore various theories of history. http://jimbuie.blogs.com/slenderthreads
- Exploring Religion and Spirituality: From time to time on this blog, I have posted observations about religion and spirituality. I want to aggregate those posts on a separate blog, maybe refine some of them, and provide a place for exploring these topics in more depth than in an all-purpose blog. http://exploringreligionandspirituality.wordpress.com
- Exploring Europe and Russia: I have posted occasionally on this blog about trips I've taken to various European countries, the UK, and to Russia. I want a place to aggregate those posts, and add to them. In 2014 and 2015, I anticipate visiting England, Austria, Spain, Scotland, and Ireland. On my bucket lists are several Eastern European countries as well. http://exploringeuropeandrussia.wordpress.com/
- Exploring North, Central and South America: I've seen a lot of North America, almost nothing of Central and South America (so far). I thought it would be interesting to try to write about these continents from the perspectives not of natives but of foreign visitors seeing with fresh eyes. Admittedly, that's hard for a native of the U.S. to do. But over time, it might be possible to pull off. I've made a meager start. http://exploringnorthcentralandsouthamerica.wordpress.com/
I'll continue to post here occasionally.